Mama does know best when it comes to the importance of the first meal of the day.
• 2 eggs, beaten, with salt and pepper
• 2 slices of turkey breast, chopped
• A handful of shredded cheese
In a small pan, over medium heat, add the turkey breast and top with the eggs. Sprinkle with cheese and wait for it to set (about six minutes). Pop the pan under the broiler for 30 seconds to make sure it cooks through. You can make this the night before, refrigerate and then throw a slice in the microwave in the morning; think of it as an omelet–pizza.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal
• 1 serving of plain oatmeal
• 1 spoonful of peanut butter
• 1 handful of dried cranberries
Cook the oatmeal and add a spoonful of peanut butter. Top with cranberries and enjoy. PB & J was all the rage in elementary school, but this version is ready for college (or three back–to–back lectures). Bonus: A swirl of honey is great on top.
Not–Your–Mother’s Morning Smoothie
• ½ cup frozen strawberries
• ½ cup frozen blueberries or blackberries
• ¼ cup frozen pineapple chunks
• ½ small avocado
• a handful of baby spinach
• about 1 cup milk/soy milk/almond milk
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. You can add more milk to get a thinner smoothie. Make a large batch and keep in the fridge in to–go cups so you can dash to class without missing your morning meal.