SPEC Concerts Director Sam Gorski shows us how to craft the perfect mixtape for that special someone.
1. “Good Morning” – John Legend
Waking up on the right side of the mixtape is a must…and it doesn’t hurt that he’s an alumnus.
2. “Lady” – D’Angelo
Sticking with the soul genre, D’Angelo is basically the pinnacle of crush mixtape music. So excited for his comeback!
3. “The Girl” – City and Colour
The high-pace middle followed by the slow–down outro helps transition to some acoustic songs. Also, we all secretly (or not so secretly) wish for a low–maintenance girl.
4. “If I Had A Boat” – James Vincent McMorrow
McMorrow has one of the most mesmerizing voices, so why not give it a shot on your crush?
5. “I Need My Girl” – The National
Something about this song just makes me think about cuddling, ugh cough I mean hanging out, by a campfire
6. “Daydreaming” – Middle Brother
The perfect serenade song for all the raspy–voiced guys out there.
7. “Eyes” – Rogue Wave
A personal mixtape staple. Eyes are the windows to the soul, yada yada etc.
8. “When I’m With You” – Best Coast
Oh Bethany…this is a great song for including some female vocals into your mixtape. Plus it’s utilizing that knowledge gained from many viewings of Inception by planting this idea of wanting to be with you in your crush’s mind.
9. “I Want You To Want Me” – Cheap Trick
A Cheap Trick concert was my parent’s first date, so this track should totally be good luck…or at least pull at some heartstrings.
10. “When the Night Falls (Chromeo Cover)” – Mayer Hawthorne
We started with the morning and now it’s time for the night.
11. “I Look To You” – Miami Horror
A continuation of the higher energy trend using the awesome voice of Kimbra. Bonus points for the gummy pop vocals paired with South Beach beats.
12. “Love U More” – Sunday Girl
All the romance of a frat house basement…
13. “Feel So Close” – Calvin Harris
A perfect “close”–r, especially if you like subtle puns.