1. They owe their success to sausage. Although they achieved minor fame with a series of coffee commercials, Jim Henson’s creations didn’t really get noticed until they became a regular feature of the variety program The Jimmy Dean Show.Rather, until Rowlf the Dog became a regular feature. He was the Andy to the sausage magnet’s Conan.
2. Rowlf got his voice back. Speaking of the lazy canine pianist, The Muppets marks Rowlf’s first speaking role in a motion picture since Henson’s death in 1990. The dog’s voice was temporarily retired out of respect for his performer (who also puppeteered Kermit, the Swedish Chef, and many others).
3. They parody people all the time. Highlights include: busty lifeguard Spamala Hamderson, idiot savant (with a soft spot for Prince) Purple Rain Man, and, um, “Robot Abraham Lincoln.”
4. They’ve released more albums than Kids Bop. Music has always been an integral part of the Muppet franchise, stemming from their variety show roots. Since the seventies, they’ve released 21 singles and 37 albums, with one song, “Rainbow Connection,” nominated for an Oscar. The Muppets features all new music by the Flight of the Conchords’ Bret McKenzie.
5. Miss Piggy’s full name is Miss Piggy Lee. Huh. Alright then.